I need doorstops in my home. Strong! Inexpensive! Doorstops!
I recently repainted my oldest son’s room and as part of the process needed to make a few repairs in the walls. (Life happens.) One of the repairs I had to do was fix a hole in the wall right behind the doorknob. The crazy thing is that this wasn’t the first time that spot needed to be repaired. It was obvious that a previous owner had needed to do the same thing.
“Well that’s stupid,” you might be thinking. Just use a doorstop.
I guess we’re on the same wavelength, but that wasn’t the problem. A doorstop used to be there. The problem was there wasn’t a strong place to attach the doorstop, and to have an effective doorstop it needs a secure base.
The baseboard in his room is too short. It has a curvy part at the top, right where the doorstop needs to be in order to actually hit the door, making for a very insecure attachment to the wall. Behind almost every door in my home is an ugly, little hole in the baseboard where a doorstop was once screwed in and has since broken off.
My solution is very simple. Make a strong base for a doorstop.
How to Install A Strong Doorstop
First I cut a small block of 1×3 from some scraps I had on hand. The existing baseboard is almost 2 ½ inches tall, the same as a 1×3.
Then using the block I traced straight lines on the baseboard on either side of the block in the location best suited for the doorstop.
Next, I needed to cut out this portion of baseboard.
The easiest way (and the only way I can think of) to make the cuts necessary is to use an oscillating multifunction power tool to cut out the small portion of baseboard. I used one from my local Harbor Freight tool store, though you can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, and other such stores. I used its plunge cut attachment.
After making the cuts and scoring the caulk along the top of the chunk of baseboard, I could pry the little piece out with a flat head screwdriver.
Once the hole was all cleaned out and the old caulk scraped off the wall, I fit the new square block into place. There was a little extra room on either side, but that’s okay since I knew I would be caulking it later. If there were tons of space, I would have cut a new piece of 1×3.
I nailed this new piece in place and drove nails into the baseboards on either side to make sure they were still secure.
Then a little caulk and paint to make my block look like it was always meant to be there.
Once the paint was dry I could install the new doorstop to its new and improved location.
The doorstop came in a package of 2 for under $2. Cheap but effective.
I opened the package and removed the twist-on bottom of the doorstop.
This is what gets screwed into the block. The screw was inside the doorstop.
It only took a minute to thread the screw through the hole in the screw-on bottom and screw it into my new doorstop block.
Finally I threaded the bottom of the spring doorstop into the screw-on bottom and presto, done.
It’s been fabulous so far. There is now plenty of room between the wall and the doorknob to avoid any more wall holes.
I hope! Of course one should never underestimate the destructive power of six children. Oh well. That’s why I’ve gotten really good at fixing holes in my walls.