Remodeling Projects

Remodeling Projects. The process of doing a home remodel. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Bungalow Kitchen: Slate Sealing

In preparation for grouting, I cleaned and sealed the slate. Sealing the slate before grouting helps in the clean-up process and helps to keep the grout damp enough to bond to the slate. Because slate is a porous and absorbent stone the...

Bungalow Kitchen: Slate Saga Continues to Day 3

When April abandoned me returned to parenting her five children, I was left to do the last bit of the floor myself. It doesn’t look like much, but I will tell you: I have never been more grateful for the work April did, than while...

Bungalow Kitchen: Slate Floor, Day 2

Day 2 of the flooring began with a lot more prep work. First we removed the door way. Then we had to lay subfloor on the landing at the top of the stairs and into the utility closet. Clearly, laying subfloor is hilarious. It was so...

Bungalow Kitchen: A Slate Floor

This past week and weekend I’ve been busy cracking the whip over April, our slate slave. Mwahahahahahaha! Okay, only kind of. I helped. Preparing and laying the slate has been a long process. Not because it’s been terribly...

Bungalow Kitchen: Cabinets

Thursday the cabinets arrived. Friday the installer came and began to work. Miss Baby stopped by to oversee the project. Saturday the installer returned to “finish.” Except one of the cabinets was misconfigured for the...

Painting: Cutting-in

I’ve found two good options for cutting-in when it comes to painting. Option 1: The classic angled brush. Load the brush with paint by tapping it into a shallow spot in your paint pan. Next you want to run the brush near the edge...

Bungalow Kitchen: Drywall Sanding and Topping

After Niel, Our Dentist in Waiting, helped me to mud the walls, we let everything dry.  Actually we let it dry a lot because the next step is sanding and I dislike sanding drywall. Anyone who has ever done drywall sanding and topping...

Bungalow Kitchen: Taping and Mudding

After some delay, per usual, we made the effort to get mud on the walls. First we taped. Part of the delay was that paper tape, for the drywall joints, is a hassle. The mud needs to be a little more moist because the paper soaks up a lot...